13 June, 2007

June 13, 2007: Tiny underwear and a new phone

ALL my underwear are now too small for me, although thankfully not due to the massive amounts of rice and beans I’ve been consuming. This morning I put a load of clothes in the washing machine, which among other things included all my underwear. I don’t dry my clothes for fear that they will shrink and so I specifically told the women working there not put them in the dryer. She forgot and when I went back down everything was hot and fluffy, straight out of the dryer. Luckily I can still wear everything. I guess it could be worse; I could have turned all my clothes an ugly grayish black color again. =0

The main objective of today was to buy a new mobile phone for our driver, Jean-Claude. His phone has not been working and I’m sure one of these days I’m going to lose him. He wanted a Digicel phone (apparently the best service in Haiti).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Surprisingly, there are 4 Digicel shops in this little town all located practically around the corner from each other. The first store was the largest and even had a nice little phone charging station on the front porch that consisted of about 12 outlets. (There is generally no electricity around here unless you have a generator.) The phone charging station was a big hit and the outlets were overflowing with chargers! The store had a nice display of phones, but unfortunately they only had 1 in stock. So we did some shopping around, but the same went for all the other shops as well. Jean-Claude was not happy with this and so we drove almost all the way to Port-au-Prince to find a shop that had a wider range of phone options. We ended up at a store in Carrfour. We were searched before entering, but the store was air-conditioned so that made it worth it. The Cubans came along because they wanted to go to an electronics store (known to give good deals to Cubans) to get some estimates on refrigerators to send back to their families in Cuba.

Despite doing relatively nothing today, I was exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was data entry, but every afternoon until 5:30 that is what we do. Evelyne, one of the hospital program organizers, comes to help me and then we go together to check on all the kids at the hospital and give out the milk.

I can’t wait to switch to Plumpy’nut. The milk that we make is really starting to make me nauseated every time I get a whiff of it. I’m not sure how these kids stomach it.